How does it work?
After the Corona virus hit us, the Business Women’s Circle started organizing coworking sessions online, to support women working at home every day.
What is virtual coworking like?
Every working day, we gather online in order to simulate a productive work environment in a shared coworking space.
What we have in a virtual coworking meetup:
- a virtual work space link, using Google Hangouts or Zoom.
- A private group through which we share the links to our virtual coworking spaces, and nurture a community. We have our Women’s Business Circle on Facebook and Linkedin.
- Structure. In order to maintain a structured environment we adopted the pomodoro method : 25 minute work sessions divided by 5 to 10 minute breaks for chitchat, brainstorming and advice.
We use the tomato timer to keep track of time.
- A task list. We here chose to keep track of our tasks for the day in a shared google spreadsheet that you will find the link to in the Women’s Business Circle groups on Facebook and Linkedin.
- A break room: a separate virtual space where people are free to move a conversation to, in case the shared break is reaching the end but some coworkers still want to continue a discussion.
- Coworkers! Of course. We try to keep the virtual space composed in groups of no more than five coworkers. Every time we reach five people, we split into more virtual spaces in order to keep our communication smooth and comfortable.
Why is support so important right now?
As we are writing this article we are under lock-down because of the spread of the Corona virus. It’s hard to keep a structured life and a sense of time. We need to keep connecting with others, following a healthy routine and at least trying to simulate change in our day to day life by meeting new people. Being part of a supportive group online, that is there every day to keep its members accountable and sane can make a major difference in our lives, both for our productivity and happiness.
How to be a part of the virtual coworking
- Join us on Facebook or LinkedIn in order to get access to the daily links to the virtual coworking spaces.
- Every day you will find a post, listing the groups for the virtual coworking sessions that day, as well as links to the timer and the task sheet. Click the links for the task sheet and the timer. Finally, click and there you are!
- Anytime that you want to extend a break to continue a conversation or talk about a specific subject with someone you’re working with (or just to joke around and slack for a bit) head to the virtual break room.
- If you join us mid-session, and you see that everyone’s mic is turned off because we’re doing something, just start working and keep an eye out for the break (every 25 minutes) – we’ll chat and cover progressive introductions during those moments.
- If you arrive and you are the first one there, don’t worry, people tend to drop in and drop out at their own pace. Just stick around instead poking in and out or otherwise we will all keep missing each other.
That’s it! You are ready to join the virtual coworking group and make sure that you will be productive as hell while surrounding yourself with hard-working and inspiring people every day.
Feel like giving virtual coworking a try?
Recommended for you
Introduction to the structure developed for the Business Women’s Circle
The listing of all our businesses, services and projects
What we are doing to let people know more about who you are, what you stand for and where to support you.
This document is an initiative for the coordination of women-centered movements, grassroot initiatives, organisations and programs in Greece. If you are in contact with such a group of people, please forward them this open call so that we may find each other.
We are listing the Business Women’s Circle Members’ Social Media Channels.